I adore Italian food. I would say “who doesn’t?”, but my husband doesn’t, that’s who. Too bad for him I’m the cook of the house, so we eat Italian-ish food at least once a week, if not more. If you couldn’t already tell, I’m kind of a carb FREAK. I love a big bowl of pasta, or some rice with stir fry, and don’t get me started on bread. I could eat pasta 6 nights a week, but my waistline says no and my husband requests a little diversity. For the nights when I want a cheesy tomato-y bowl of pasta, but my husband wants something more meaty I turn to Italian chicken over spaghetti.
The original name for this recipe in our house growing up was Chicken Manicotti, but I realize that manicotti is a large round noodle, and this recipe calls for zero of those, so I just renamed it to Italian Chicken on spaghetti, creative I know…It’s a great recipe that whips up quickly and bakes for just about an hour, just make sure to temp your chicken to 165F. The last time I made this my chicken breasts were still half frozen and I baked it covered at 375F for 50 minutes and it was done. This is also easily made in the slow cooker. Just add the ingredients and enjoy at dinner time!
Perfect to put together for a tasty meal on a busy weeknight!
Italian Chicken on Spaghetti
An easy and tasty weeknight Italian chicken dinner the whole family will enjoy
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1 can tomato paste
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 3 large scoops cottage cheese
- 4 large slices fresh mozzarella
- 1/2 pound cooked spaghetti
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 350F.
- Step 2 In a medium saucepan combine tomato juice, tomate paste, garlic and spices. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Step 3 Place chicken breasts in a large baking dish.
- Step 4 Add cottage cheese on top of chicken.
- Step 5 Pour the tomato mixture on top to cottage cheese and chicken.
- Step 6 Bake covered for up to 1 hour or until chicken reaches 165F.
- Step 7 Place mozzarella cheese on top and bake until melted.
- Step 8 Serve hot over spaghetti noodles.